The BUllen Companies Pre-Print Submission Checklist
When Submitting your own Documents or Artwork:
For artwork, Adobe Illustrator is the preferred file format, but we also accept the following: Adobe InDesign*, Adobe Photoshop* (*Use of other applications require additional time at standard rate to assemble).
Note: In Illustrator, be sure your Document Raster Effects Settings are at High Resolution (300 ppi). This is under the Effect menu from the top toolbar.
For documents, Adobe InDesign is the preferred file format, but we also accept the following: Adobe Illustrator*, Adobe Photoshop* (*Use of other applications require additional time at standard rate to assemble).
We no longer accept art files in Quark formats.
Send final files with pdfs to email@example.com Please include a “Press Quality” PDF for art, type and placement verification purposes.
Print Proof Essentials List
Elements such as logo, text, and any other objects or shapes should be a vector.
• Color mode should be in CMYK (NOT RGB).
• Check to make sure spot/PMS colors and CMYK process colors are clearly defined.
• Delete any unused colors in the swatch pallet.
• Die lines should be clearly marked.
• Have a 1/8” bleed outside of the die line.
• Strokes must be expanded to shapes unless it is the die line.
• Fine lines should be a minimum of .3 pt. in thickness. • Fine reverse lines should be a minimum of .5 pt. in thickness.
• Do NOT us any layer effects or blending modes.
• Delete any unused elements or hidden layers within the file.
• Send a preview PDF of the design with the artwork.
• Send high resolution version of the file as an .ai or .eps
Images should be 300dpi, layered and saved as PSD (native Photoshop) files. DO NOT embed images in the artwork without providing the images separately. Other formats such as TIFF and EPS are also acceptable.
Linked graphics are up to date.
• Embed images should be sent with your file.
• Images are at a high resolution of 300dpi.
• The image size should be at least the physical size it will appear in print.
• Copy all files (including Photoshop supported files, EPS, TIFF, ETC.).
• If Photoshop files are embedded in the artwork. Please still send the original layered Photoshop files.
• All 4 color process scans should be scanned in at 2 times the line screen they will be ran at. (Ex. 133 lpi screen scanned at 266 ppi).
Fonts & Type
• Fonts should be included with the artwork.
• Reverse copy smaller than 6 pt. is not recommended (No serif fonts). Line copy smaller than 4 pt. is not recommended.
• Text on art design should be at least .0625” from dielines. • Outline fonts or package font file with design.
• Barcodes should not be any smaller than 85%.
• Barcodes should get a BWR (Bar Width Reduction) of .001 for positive and .0085 for reversed.
• When creating UPC, keep .125” of blank space to the left and right from the check digits, or .25” from the end bars if there are no check digits.
• 100% Black on White background is Ideal.
• Linked graphics are RGB: To fix, open the original graphic file(s) and convert the colors to CMYK.
• Missing fonts: To fix, first attempt to activate the missing font in your computer. Or, open the layout file and manually change any text that uses a missing font to another font. Many times, the “missing font” warning refers to something as irrelevant as a space formatted with a missing font. (You can detect where missing fonts occur in InDesign and Illustrator with the “Find Font” menu item.) For a clean layout file, you must delete or edit all unused/invisible text (even spaces) detected as problematic.